Sunday 21 August 2011

En Français, s'il-vous-plaît


So today was Edgelands - the alternative conference model set up by Andy and Hannah Nicklin - and I must say it was by far the most inspired and motivated I think I've felt by a conference-type-model. (Which to be fair, isn't difficult, considering I usually hate conferences.) But this event was, genuinely intellectually and emotionally stimulating, and forced me to take positions or at the very least question positions on some of the central tenets of producing and making theatre. It just heightened my awareness or something. Always a good thing.

Andy asked me to do a little five minute performance to help open the day. I'm very glad I did, but I'll admit that having to come up with a new piece (even a short one) in the midst of co-directing Forest Fringe was beginning to seem like a nigh-on impossible task. The idea, when it did come, which was late, was gently drawn out by Harun and then articulated by Laura McD, the Fierce co-directors, and this experience really made me understand why they're such good producers. Thank frickin' goodness. Also special thanks to Pat Ashe for agreeing with Laura that the idea was a good one, to Tania El Khoury for extensive/creative proof reading, and to my computer for running out of battery before I could finish working on the inferior idea I'd been in the middle of typing up earlier yesterday.

So below for your perusal is the text for the little performance I gave at Edgelands today. This text was delivered as a simple speech en français with English surtitles projected on screen. I'm including it below in French only - because I'm a precocious bastard like that - but also because I'd like you to check out Google Translate if you can't speak French and you're interested in what it says, just to give you a distance from the text that could maybe approximate experience the performance itself. If by any chance you were there and you want a precise copy of the subtitles, you can reach me through the Forest Fringe website and I will send them along.

Amusez vous bien!

Bonjour. Et Bienvenue

Je suis là pour vous racontez une histoire étrange.

Il y a deux jours, je suis allée voire un écrivain et comédien Américain, un démocrat, un intellectuel, un type bien admiré parmis notre entourage.

Il se moquait des immigrants qui ne pouvaient pas prononcer les noms des produits à Tesco.

Il est vraiment très drôle.

Mais je n’ai pas trouver cette blague amusante.

Et pour la premiere fois j’ai compris pourquoi les artists sont parfois accusés d’être élitistes, et ne comprennent pas les masses.

J’ai décidé de vous raccontez cette histoire en français.

J’ai laissé cette partie vide parce que je peux.

Peut être quelques uns de vous parlent le français. D’autres peuvent un peu me comprendre.

Si vous parlez français, vous avez alors déjà deviner que je ne suis pas française. Je suis Canadienne. Mais je ne suis pas canadienne francophone.

Je parle couramment le français comme résultat de ma bonne éducation et parce que mes parents ont bien payé pour des petits excursions culturels pendant que j'ai agrandis.

Je comprends si vous pensez que je suis un peu chiante.

J’ai vecu à Paris.

Je suis aussi une type qui ajoutent parfois des petits mots en français en parlant anglais.

Je ne fais pas ça par exprés. Et je comprends que c’est très, très chiant.

D’ailleurs, je voulais que vous me trouvez insupportable pendant ces cinq minutes.

Parce que je parle une langue que vous ne comprennez pas. Cette langue n’est pas ma langue maternelle. C’est le résultat d'un combinaison de privilege et d’effort.

Ou bien peut être vous comprennez cette langue, mais vous me trouvez un peu trop fière, même prétentieuse.

Parce que c’est comme ça que beaucoup de gens perçoivent l’art.

Et si vous parlez une langue qu’ils ne comprennent pas, il faut au moins que vous soyez au courant des conséquences.

Parle Bien

Parle avec du précision

Ne vous moquez pas d'eux.

Ne les insultent pas.

Et garder l'espérance que si vous parlez assez longtemps, ils finiront en vous comprendre.



No comments: